Friday, May 13, 2011

When you know better, you do better

Dean of Oprah University, teach me the fundamentals.
Let people surprise me and to serve their higher good when I do that.
Be seen for who I really am, by example: playful, passionate, and practical all at once.
You've changed my life, you've inspired me, you've become my sistah from another mother from afar.

Do I have a message that is worth listening to? You bet. It will shine through my artwork through my personality, through my vulnerabilities.

You are unique in that you showed up and showed the world your insides, the truth; something that not all people can handle. Of those of us who could, you gave us all permission to be true, as well.

I know this isn't an ending, this is a beginning.

Your presence on the air for the past 25 years hasn't been a "show," it's an institution, part of the fabric of America. It is the "turning the lights off and walking out the door" part that has me feeling indescribably sad. Sad because I know how many lives you've changed over a quarter of a century, mine being one of them. I can't even look at a "O" Magazine cover (all of which I've saved throughout their existence) without feeling a strong pang.

You've spoken to all kinds of people in all walks of life "from the sublime to the ridiculous," as the saying goes, and nobody does it better or with more healing power than you.

One of my "Aha" moments: All pain is the same. It's how you deal with it that makes a difference. I have had a few more "Aha" moments, thanks to you, my precious Oprah.

Everybody is acting at the level they know. And....

when you know better, you do better.



That is how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment